Thursday, June 17, 2010

ASCAP or BMI ?

I am definitely going to join either BMI or ASCAP. Before making my final decision, I will need to spend some time researching both of them. I will use this post to share the information that I have learned. Both groups are designed to protect songwriters rights and to allow for the collection of royalties from air play. Hearing my songs play on the radio would be an absolute dream come true. Being able to also collect royalties from this would be amazing !! From what I have read so far, the fees for joining both groups are very minimal (around $35, or so).

6-25-10, I researched both and I think that ASCAP (American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers) sounds like the wiser option. They were founded in 1914. It is entirely owned and operated by its own members. They provide full financial disclosure to their members and the general public. Royalty checks are sent out 8 times per year. The payments are made about 6 months after the performance quarter (BMI is 7-8 months). The cost to join is a $35 processing fee, and that's it, there are no annual dues. After that, ASCAP collects 11.3% from the members royalties for operating costs. I still have to research a few more things, but what I've read so far sounds pretty good. The 11.3% is cheaper than what iTunes, Amazon and others deduct for their services. What's cool is that once I join, and submit my music, they do all the rest. All I have to do is sit back and collect the royalties. If I start gaining notoriety, I will already have myself set up to start collecting royalties from airplay. How cool is that !!! Any way I look at it, I have to join this group.

8-25-10, I printed out copies of the ASCAP application. I will probably still register online, but it is nice to have a physical copy that I can review beforehand. I have only one week left until my California vacation, and there are only 2 songs left to master. My priority before the trip is have the Cd completely finished (masters) and the copyrights sent out. Once I return, I will join ASCAP and visit Total Media to have my work replicated.

8-29-10, I guess I am on a roll ! Last night I finished up the final touches on the graphic design. Once I finished, I saved everything down to a memory stick. Today, I finished up the final "master" copies of the Cd. I also got both of my copyright packages together. Since I have to go to the post office tomorrow, I figured I might as well add one more letter to occasion. This letter is my application for ASCAP ! It will cost me an extra $30 to register by mail, but at least I won't have to deal with my credit card company. I am very proud of my decision to join ASCAP, and I look forward to becoming a card carrying member.

8-30-10, I sent out my ASCAP membership application today. I don't foresee any problems, at all, with my application being accepted. I imagine that there will probably be a letter of acceptance waiting for me when I return from my vacation. I will keep my fingers crossed anyway.

9-8-10, Just got back from my California vacation. My return receipt from ASCAP was here waiting for me. Now I'll just have to wait and see if I'm accepted.

9-18-10, YES !!! I just got accepted to ASCAP. The confirmation arrived through my email address. I guess they are also mailing out a welcome package with my membership card, and #. Once I receive this, I will be able to register all of my songs on line.

9-28-10, OK, I'm an idiot. I didn't need to wait for my membership card to register my works. I already had my membership #, I just needed to enter my full name correctly and come up with a new password. That is all done now and I am ready to roll. Since it is 2:15 a.m., I have decided that I will start this project when I wake up. I just received an update from Jennifer at Total Media that my Cd's will be available for pick up by Thurs, or Fri (today is Monday). The registration of all my works with ASCAP is going to coincide with the release of the "Crazy Like A Fox" Cd perfectly. (6:45 p.m.) Well that wasn't too difficult. All of my songs (even the new ones) have been submitted for registration at ASCAP. All in all, I have a total of 32 tunes that equal up to 2 hours, 7 minutes and 30 seconds of music ! My shortest songs are "Won't Be Home Again" (2:40) and "Hard Times" (2:45). My longest songs are "Simple Minded" (5:26), "Halfway To Memphis" (5:24/Songs From The Gallery Cd) and "Oh Desiree" (5:23/Songs From The Gallery Cd). All I have to do now is wait for ASCAP to process the song registrations, and I'll go from there. At some point in time, I'm sure that I will have to send them copies of my 3 Cd's for their records. I also still need to receive my membership card. Now that this is done .... Go Rays !!! Price is pitching, we're playing at home and are 1 win from clinching a playoff birth. We also still have a shot at winning our division and home field advantage throughout the playoffs. At this moment we are neck and neck with Minnesota and the Yankee's for that honor. Go Rays !!!

9-29-10, Yes ! The Rays are in the playoffs for the 2nd time in 2 years. We are 1/2 game up on the Yankees and 2 on the Twins (5 games to go) for home field advantage. Tonight is the last home game of the season and they are giving away 20,000 free tickets. I was thinking of going until I saw the lines of fans, outside the stadium, on the TV. I just got done checking my ASCAP page, where I was surprised to find that all my songs are registered already ! All that is left now, is to wait for my membership card to arrive and this post will be complete.

UPDATE (2-16-14): All songs from my "Crazy Like A Fox" Cd can be heard in their entirety through the tune player below. Please make sure to also check out my home website at: www.foxmanmusic.com