Thursday, June 17, 2010

Copyright

As with my previous works, I will also copyright this Cd through the Library Of Congress. I believe the appropriate form to use is Form SR (for sound recordings). I think the fee for this is around $75, or so. Technically, once a work is completed it is already copyrighted. I just like the extra protection of formally doing so through the Library Of Congress. I will also do a poor mans copyright and send a copy to myself ... one can't be too careful these days !

7-11-10. I did read up a bit more on copyright forms. I wanted to make sure that I was doing everything correctly. Basically there are 2 forms that apply to recording artists. One is Form PA, which copyrights a particular performance of a song, and the other is Form SR (sound recording). For what I am doing Form SR is the correct form. This form serves 2 purposes, it copyrights both the sound recording and the underlying works. What I will need to do is to send the completed form, 2 Cd's (as they will be heard on the Cd), copies of my lyrics and the $75 fee to the Library Of Congress. I will send everything certified mail so that I will have a return receipt confirming that the package was received. It takes a long time for the material to actually be processed, but the copyright is technically valid once it has been received. The post date on the certified receipt, along with the return receipt, will serve as the official date of copyright. Once a work has been copyrighted, the author has the right to post an official notice on their work. In my case, I am going to use "2010 FOXMAN MUSIC. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED". To the left of this caption will be the official copyright symbol, which is a circle with a small "c" inside. My official notice will appear on the back sleeve of the Cd, and on top of the actual Cd disc.

8-25-10, I went to the local library today and made copies of all my song lyrics. I also printed a copy of Form SR and got it filled out properly, and legibly. All that is left now is to finish the masters (only 2 left, will be done within 1 week), burn down 2 copies, and mail out the package to the Library Of Congress. I will also burn 1 extra copy which will be sent to myself as a poorman's copyright.

8-29-10 (8:35 p.m.) YES !!! I did it ! The "master" copies for the Cd are completed. I put together both copyright packages today, and I will mail them out tomorrow. Well that's it for this post. All that is left now is to join ASCAP, and finish the Cd replication.

8-30-10, I did a 3 1/2 mile walk today (in the heat), to my bank and then a postal outlet. I am proud to say that the copyrights, and ASCAP application, are in the mail. I saved all the receipts for my records and made copies of everything. Technically, the postmark on my certified letter receipts will serve as the official day of copyright for my release. All I need now are the signed return receipts to cement the process.

9-8-10, Just got back from my California vacation. Before I left I had received my poor mans copyright package through the mail. So, that part of the process is finished. I am a bit concerned that I haven't received the return receipt from the Library Of Congress copyright. I'll be patient, there was a holiday Monday (Labor Day), so maybe that's why it hasn't found its way yet.

9-10-10, I am going to have a barcode added to all my Cd copies. This will give me extra copyright protection and assist in Cd sales. Thanks Jennifer (Total Media) for bringing this to my attention.

9-11-10, I still haven't received the return receipt from the Library Of Congress copyright. Well, that's the postal service for you ! Good thing I did the poor mans copyright to cover my ass. The other thing is, if they did receive it and the receipt is lost, the canceled check will show up on my bank statement. Like a return receipt, this will also confirm the copyright. I will definitely be keeping an eye on my bank statements.

9-12-10, Yes !!! I got the return receipt back from the Library Of Congress. Now everything is official and I don't have to worry anymore. I will still save the canceled check statement when it comes in. Well that's it for this post !!!

UPDATE (2-16-14): All songs from my "Crazy Like A Fox" Cd can be heard in their entirety through the tune player below. Please make sure to also visit my home website at: www.foxmanmusic.com